Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Some Films to Think About and/or SEE!

Here are some documentaries that I have seen lately. Some have really put my undies in a bunch!

CONTROL ROOM- If Fox News can't get you thinking about the media and the news we get from it maybe this film will jar your little brain a bit! I mean, what's true and what's not necessarily true but is only "someone's" agenda? Are we REALLY learning all we need to know - you know, so that we can make truly educated decisions and assumptions about the world around us? Not just spew some dictated info we picked up from our "favorite" one-sided news coverage... And that goes both ways kids!

4 LITTLE GIRLS- In my opinion, it wasn't really the best done documentary I've ever seen but Spike Lee's story of the 1963 bombing of an Alabama church was still a good lesson in how far we still HAVEN'T come. Maybe it will make some people understand how long a horrible tragedy can last for the people involved.

TARNATION- Dear God! Crazy (a good word to use in this context by the way) amount of incredible footage makes this doc pretty fascinating. If you think your childhood was f____ed up... you probably have nothing on this guy and his growing up with a schizophrenic mother. Because he had a movie camera growing up, he had the opportunity to make this sad story come to life!

THE YES MEN- OK folks... this is a MUST SEE! My friend, Marine recommended it and I can't believe I hadn't heard of it earlier! Two jokester liberals pretend to be WTO members (World Trade Organization). PLEASE rent this! You will laugh at the stupidity and cry at the stupidity!

THE CORPORATION- See this one with "Control Room" and watch your blood boil! GREED GREED GREED! Hard for me to watch since one of the biggest corporations in the world "pays my mortgage"... Thanks Mickey Mouse! This movie made me want to buy a farm and go away forever... However, only corporations own farms anymore. And been to a baseball game lately? Corporate sponsorship even cover the screens that they use to clean up the dirt on the field. It's gross!

MAYA LIN: A STRONG CLEAR VISION- This won't necessarily get your undies in a bunch but hopefully can inspire you. What a beautiful memorial for the Vietnam War... of course, different strokes for different folks... I think she is so gifted!

There are the obvious comments I have of Michael Moore's documentaries. I mean, all I need to say is Bravo, Mr. Moore. I don't agree with everything he does in his films but more power to him... expose those who should be exposed and please, continue to make us think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home